As a supplier of Boxes, Tape, Bubble Wrap and other shipping and moving-related items, we constantly get phone calls from folks who are getting ready to move and need our help to recommend the proper moving supplies. What often comes out in these phone calls is that a lot of people have no idea what to do first when it's time to make a move.
To help out with that, we've put together a short list that details what and when things need to be done in advance of a move.
1 month before…..
- Get together a list of items needed for your move and order them (Boxes, Packing Tape, Bubble Wrap, Anti-Static Bubble Wrap, Tissue Paper, Newsprint, Garbage Bags, Utility Knife, Furniture Pads, Etc.).
- Call friends and family that you want to help you with the move so that they can plan accordingly.
- Call and price moving truck rental rates. Book moving truck.
- If you are using a moving company, call around and price it out, do your research and book the company of your choice.
- Start organizing your stuff to figure out what you plan on taking and what will be sold at your garage sale or donated to charity.
3 weeks before….
- Start taking pictures of the items (especially jewelry and electronics) that will be going with you for insurance purposes.
- Pack at least 2-3 boxes daily this week.
- If you have children, get their school records transferred if necessary and schedule their physicals needed for a new school. Take them to see the new school they will be attending to familiarize them with it.
- Go online or to your local post office and fill out the change of address forms
- Call your auto insurance company, credit card companies, banks and anywhere else that you have accounts to inform them of your change of address.
2 weeks left…..
- If you have children, finalize arrangements for a sitter for that day and possibly overnight.
- Go to your new home and bring cleaning supplies and get it sparkling!
- Choose a day for your garage sale (Thursdays are most popular) or call your local Goodwill/Salvation Army to schedule a pickup or a good time to drop off. If you choose to donate your items, don’t forget that receipt, as donations are tax deductible.
- Measure furniture and entrances/doorways to make sure that your furniture and belongings will fit out of your old home and into your new home.
- Call and cancel delivery services, landscaping services, etc.
- Transfer utilities to your new home.
- Put together your moving essential package (Water, Pizza, Dish Soap, Bathroom Cleaner, Paper Towels, Shower Towels, Bath Mat, Shower Curtain and Liner, Garbage Bags and Garbage Can, Tools, Flash Light, Keys, Toilet Paper, Toothpaste, Medications, Bathroom Toiletries, Plastic eating utensils and paper plates, Extra Light Bulbs, Snacks, Bags of Ice, First Aid Kit)